Are you ready for today’s Yoga Vitamin?
For the past few weeks, I have been providing an assortment of Yoga Vitamins – a sequence of yoga postures and breathing techniques to nourish your body, mind and spirit. To be the most effective, a daily yoga vitamin should consist of six essential ingredients: centering & opening positions, standing & focus poses and inversion & relaxation postures.
This week I will give you a “prescription” for a healthy nervous system sequence. This is a soothing yoga vitamin – one that provides balance and creates a centering and calming effect.
Yoga Nervous System Vitamin
- Centering & Breath Awareness: Begin in Cat/Cow to connect the breath and movement.
- Opening Poses: Try Table Balance then move to Down Dog and Plank (repeating this set of poses is a great for upper body strength).
- Standing Poses: Tree Pose, Triangle & Reverse Triangle to build stability.
- Focus Pose: Seated Forward Bend for quieting and centering.
- Inversion: Headstand, Shoulderstand or Bridge (with feet on chair) all facilitate clarity. Choose the posture you are most comfortable practicing.
- Restorative Pose: Savasana with head nest & eyebag to soothe. Nadi Shodhana is also a good breathing technique to conclude your practice.
As promised, here is a helpful set of supplements for you to pick and choose from. These extras will, hopefully, boost your daily practice and give you added vigor for the day!
Mantra: Om Shanti Shanti Shantiii = Peace
Mudra: Jnana Mudra for promoting memory, concentration and clarification (see photo above).
Props: This sequence of poses may require a blanket and an eye bag to support restorative posture.
Essential Oils: Specifically geared toward the nervous system are lavender, patchouli, and frankincense oils.
Music: Liquid Mind or Lizabeth Scott are great artists for total relaxation.
If you want to check out another Daily Yoga Vitamin, just click on last week’s post.
And if you have anything else to add, I’d love you hear your comments! ☮️